Monday, January 14, 2019

The Guide To Successful 5S Implementation

When I was first introduced to the 5S system, I thought "this is pretty lame". What a convoluted process for workplace cleaning!

The more companies I visit, the more I see this thought reinforced. Managers tell me they have done 5S ... many times. They say they have effective visual management systems in place and TPM is running well. Yet, when I walk through the plant, I see little evidence of managing visually. When I ask about signals, check sheets and standard work instructions I get the "deer in the headlight" stare.

In many lean implementations, the leaders try to implement more complex visual systems, like kanban, flow lanes, or production boards, when the discipline of 5S is not in place. After all, that's the fun part of lean!

But you have to learn to walk before you can run.

After several of these struggles as a manager and a few years as a consultant, I came to realize the true power of the 5S system.

5S is not about housekeeping. It is not just keeping the workplace organized.

Click here to discover the true power of 5S, and more importantly, how to IMPLEMENT this system in your organiation.




Norm www.normbain.com

No comments:

 
NBI - Making sense of business improvement - Blogged